Arcana Coelestia (Elliott) n. 970
The subject of vastations follows at the end of this chapter.
- And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them, Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth.
- And let the fear
of you and the dread of you be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the air,a even to everything which the ground causes to creep forth, and to all the fish of the sea; into your hands
let them be given.
- Every creeping thing that is living will be food for you; as the edible plant I have given all this to you.
- Only you shall not eat flesh with its soul, its blood.
- And I
will certainly require your blood with your souls; at the hand of every wild animal I will require it, and at the hand of man, at the hand of his brother man (vir) I will require the soul of man.
Whoever sheds man's blood in man, his blood shall be shed, for in the image of God He made man.
- And you, be fruitful and multiply; swarm over the earth and multiply in it.
- And God said to Noah and
to his sons with him, saying,
- And I, behold I, am establishing My covenant with you, and with your seed after you.
- And with every living soul that is with you - with birds, with beasts, and
with every wild animal of the earth with you; from all that are going out of the ark, even every wild animal of the earth.
- And I will establish My covenant with you, and never again will all flesh
be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.
- And God said, This is the sign of the covenant which I give between Me and you and every living
soul that is with you into the generations of an age.
- I have given My bow in the cloud, and it will be for a sign of the covenant between Me and the earth.
- And when I cloud over the earth with
cloud, and the bow is seen in the cloud,
- I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living soul in all flesh. And the waters will no more be a flood to destroy all flesh.
And the bow will be in the cloud, and I see it, to remember the eternal covenant between God and every living soul in all flesh that is on the earth.
- And God said to Noah, This is the sign of
the covenant which I am establishing between Me and all flesh that is on the earth.
- And Noah's sons who went out of the ark were Shem, Ham, and Japheth. And Ham was the father of Canaan.
three were the sons of Noah, and from them the whole earth was overspread.
- And Noah began to be a man (vir) of the ground, and planted a vineyard.
- And he drank of the wine, and was drunk, and
he was uncovered in the middle of his tent.
- And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father's nakedness and pointed it out to his two brothers outside.
- And Shem and Japheth took a garment and
both of them put it on a shoulder, and went backwards and covered their father's nakedness; and their faces were backwards, and they did not see their father's nakedness.
- And Noah awoke from his wine,
and realized what his younger son had done to him.
- And he said, Cursed be Canaan, a slave of slaves will he be to his brothers.
- And he said, Blessed be Jehovah, God of Shem, and Canaan will
be a slave to him.
- May God enlarge Japheth, and he will dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan will be his slave. 28 And Noah lived after the Flood three hundred and fifty years. 29 And all the
days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years; and he died.
a lit. bird of heaven (or the sky)
This page is part of
© 2000-2001 The Academy of the New Church